Veuillez indiquer le modèle de votre platine Collaro à galet dans le titre de votre sujet.

SUJET : [4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 14 Aoû 2019 16:48 #1

• jayellis
  • Portrait de jayellis
  • Membre actif
  • Remerciements reçus 1
Hi guys,

I want to keep my Collaro as original as possible (structurally). I'm probably not going to keep the arm attached.I've worked out that the Effective Distance is 233mm (is that correct). And I don't want to drill holes or cut bits out. Are there any tonearms you recommend. I found this list which is very useful.

Salut les gars,

Je veux garder mon Collaro aussi original que possible (structurellement). Je ne vais probablement pas garder le bras attaché. J'ai compris que la distance effective est de 233 mm (est-ce exact). Et je ne veux pas percer de trous ou découper des morceaux. Recommandez-vous des bras de lecture? j'ai trouvé ça liste ce qui est très utile.
Dernière édition: 18 Aoû 2019 08:14 par User578.
L'administrateur a désactivé l'accès en écriture pour le public.

Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T 200 non modifié 14 Aoû 2019 17:32 #2

• User578
  • Portrait de User578
  • Dinosaure du galet
  • Remerciements reçus 105
We talked about effective lenght and mounting distance of the original arm in this post and the following ones.

idler-drive.com/index.php/forum/collaro/...-forum?start=18#7503

233 mm distance from spindle to pivot looks good.

Anyway back to the 50's, arm geometry was different that the one we know today, so you could have a little freedom about the effective lenght of your new arm, especialy if you could slide (a bit) the cartrige onto the headshell.
So, looking for a new arm with a mounting distance from 230 to 235 mm is the better option, I think.

Don't forget that no arm with a pivot will offer a perfect tracking anyway ... ;)

I guess that Denon tonearms would match easily, and are easely findable ... maybe the ones on the cheap Denon belt drive from the 80's could match.
I have one of these turntable and I can take a look if interested.
Cet utilisateur a été remercié pour son message par: jayellis

Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T 200 non modifié 14 Aoû 2019 18:18 #3

• Analog Addict
  • Portrait de Analog Addict
  • Double A
  • Remerciements reçus 122
  • Médaille en chocolat
The points to consider :
1 - Which sort of cartridge do you wish to use ("heavy" / low compliance or "light" / high compliance) ? This will somehow dictate the type of tonearm !
2 - Do you accept period mismatch (a recent tonearm on a 1950's motor) ? Some purists don't. If your case, this will further restrict the choice...
3 - The effective distance indeed... (230 - 235 mm according to Cynos)
4 - The selected tonearm base mounting templates, so that one can fit the 4T200 without re-drilling.

Especially regarding the last requirement the choice may be very tight !!! Regarding period tonearms I remember of some Collaros fitted with Decca Derams for instance.

One interesting option would be lo leave the original tonearm for mono recordings and, to fit the 4T 200 in a nice custom plinth with provision for a second stereo tonearm, if possible on a removeable armboard (behind or left hand side). I would do so for myself. In such setups, period mismatch appears to be more acceptable, at least cosmetically...

Any idea of the current cartridge ? Looks like a Ronette but I'm not sure. If you have mono records it would probably be worth some upgrade.

Les points à considérer:
1 - Quel type de cellule tu souhaites utiliser («lourde» / faible compliance ou «légère» / compliance élevée) ? Cela va en quelque sorte dicter le type de bras.
2 - Tolères-tu l'anachronisme (un bras de lecture récent sur un moteur des années 1950) ? Certains puristes ne l'acceptent pas. Si c'est ton cas, cela restreindra encore le choix ...
3 - La distance effective en effet ... (230 - 235 mm selon Cynos)
4 - Les gabarits de montage de la base du bras de lecture sélectionné, de sorte que l’on puisse l'installer sans re-percer la 4T 200.
Surtout en ce qui concerne la dernière exigence, le choix peut être très restreint !!! En ce qui concerne les bras de lecture d'époque, je me souviens de certaines Collaros équipées de Decca Deram, par exemple.

Une option intéressante serait de laisser le bras de lecture original pour la lecture mono et d’installer ta 4T 200 dans un joli socle personnalisé avec possibilité de placer un deuxième bras de lecture stéréo, si possible sur une planchette amovible (derrière ou à gauche). C'est ce que personnellement je ferais. Dans de telles configurations, l'anachronisme est plus acceptable, du moins au plan cosmétique...

Une idée de la cellule actuelle? On dirait une Ronette mais je n'en suis pas sûr. Si tu as des gravures mono, une cellule plus performante serait à envisager...
Dernière édition: 14 Aoû 2019 18:20 par Analog Addict.

Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T 200 non modifié 14 Aoû 2019 18:35 #4

• jayellis
  • Portrait de jayellis
  • Membre actif
  • Remerciements reçus 1
I was thinking of replacing it but you make a good point about mono recordings and it's in excellent condition. I fully intend to have arm boards on the plinth I'm building. I have a friend with a CNC cutter so I could build a very nice ply plinth (I'm already drawing plans). I was also thinking of experimenting with DIY tonearms. Unipivots like the Nanook. The Arm boards would come in very useful there.

I'm attaching a picture of the current cartridge. It doesn't even look used?

Je pensais le remplacer, mais vous faites valoir un point en matière d’enregistrements mono et c’est en excellent état. J'ai bien l'intention d'avoir des planches à bras sur le socle que je construis. J'ai un ami avec un cutter CNC afin de pouvoir construire un très beau socle en pli (je dessine déjà des plans). Je pensais aussi à expérimenter avec des bras de lecture de bricolage. Unipivots comme le Nanook. Les planches des bras y seraient très utiles.

Je joins une image de la cartouche actuelle. Ça n'a même pas l'air utilisé?

Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T 200 non modifié 14 Aoû 2019 18:52 #5

• User578
  • Portrait de User578
  • Dinosaure du galet
Looks like a Ronette with a Collaro badge.

This is suitable for early mono LPs ( tracking force 6/8g, I believe).

Some Collaro cartridges that might have interest are the Studio (P/M ... others ?).
These are well regarded.

+1
Keeping the original arm for mono and/or 78 rpm and then, mounting a second one (more modern) to play 33 rpm stereo LPs is the better solution, and will let you a large choice for the new tonearm.

- "all you need" is to build a plinth that could accomodate the mount of an external tonearm.
Dernière édition: 14 Aoû 2019 18:54 par User578.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 01 Sep 2019 17:00 #6

• jayellis
  • Portrait de jayellis
  • Membre actif
  • Remerciements reçus 1
Hi guys, just back from holidays.

Always measure twice they say! I just did and found I'd got some wrong!!! 229mm (not 233mm) mounting distance with the original arm having an effective length of 244mm.

It seams that Denon 303, 305 and 307 (as someone suggested earlier) and Fidelity Research arms are pretty much there. The mounting hole is 2mm shy for a FR but I don't mind that level of modification. I'm not sure what size hole a Denon would take. I just didn't want to cut out large chunks of base plate for an SME style mounting.

As you might have guessed I'm still thinking of whether to leave the current arm on or not. To be honest I don't have much need for it at the moment.

I better save my pennies I guess.

Salut les gars, je viens de rentrer de vacances.

Toujours mesurer deux fois, dit-on! Je viens de le faire et j'ai trouvé que j'avais tort! Distance de montage de 229 mm (et non de 233 mm), le bras d'origine ayant une longueur effective de 244 mm.

Il semblerait que les bras Denon 303, 305 et 307 (comme quelqu'un l’a suggéré plus tôt) et les bras de Fidelity Research soient à peu près là. Le trou de montage est timide de 2mm pour un FR, mais ce niveau de modification ne me dérange pas. Je ne sais pas quelle taille un Denon prendrait. Je ne voulais tout simplement pas découper de gros morceaux de plaque de base pour un montage de style PME.

Comme vous l'avez peut-être deviné, je réfléchis toujours à l'opportunité de laisser le bras actuel allumé ou non. Pour être honnête, je n’en ai pas vraiment besoin pour le moment.

Je ferais mieux de sauver mes sous, je suppose.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 01 Sep 2019 23:06 #7

• Analog Addict
  • Portrait de Analog Addict
  • Double A
  • Remerciements reçus 122
  • Médaille en chocolat
Hello jay, it's nice to hear from you again :)

To get rid of these tonearm positioning issues and constraints : If I had this deck, personally I wouldn't touch the original tonearm (even useless). Instead, I would build a custom plinth with provision for a second tonearm on a removeable board (either behind the deck or on the left hand side). IMO doing so offers the following benefits :

1 - Drilling the chassis (with unpredictable results) is no more required.
2 - Should the new tonearm position appears to be inadequate, just drill a new board, not the turntable
3 - Any tonearm cut is possible, including SME and others
4 - Cosmetically : the plinth shape and finish can be selected to succesfully match both the 1950 deck and the probably more modern tonearm, thus making acceptable an otherwise anachronic association...
5 - Last but not least, the 4T200 and its period tonearm will keep its collectible value...

The only downside is the plinth price and footspace...

What do you think ?

Bonsoir Jay, ravi de te lire à nouveau :)

Pour ne pas avoir à me soucier de ces problèmes et contraintes de positionnement du bras : si j’avais cette platine, personnellement je ne toucherais pas au bras d'origine (même inutile) et, je fabriquerais une plinthe prévue pour un deuxième bras sur un support amovible (derrière ou sur le côté gauche). A mon avis, cette approche offre les avantages suivants:

1 - Le perçage du châssis (avec un résultat aléatoire) n’est plus nécessaire.
2 - Si la position du deuxième bras s'avère inadéquate, il suffit de re-percer un nouveau support, pas la platine !
3 - Toute découpe de bras est possible, y compris SME ou autres..
4 - Esthétiquement : la forme et la finition de la plinthe peuvent être choisies pour s'associer avec succès, à la fois à la platine de 1950 et au bras de lecture probablement plus moderne, rendant acceptable (voire harmonieuse !) une association a priori anachronique ...
5 - Enfin, le 4T200 et son bras de lecture conserveront leur valeur de collection ...

Le seul inconvénient serait le coût de cette plinthe, et son encombrement...

Qu'en penses-tu ?
Dernière édition: 01 Sep 2019 23:23 par Analog Addict.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 11:15 #8

• jayellis
  • Portrait de jayellis
  • Membre actif
  • Remerciements reçus 1
I hear you Analog Addict. It is an argument I regularly have with myself. To be fair… removing the original tonearm would remove functionality. I also had the idea of using the original mount with a Nanook 219 type homemade tonearm and fitting quick release connections to allow easy swapping out.

This is what I was thinking plinth wise. Initial thoughts… perhaps over the top?

Ooops I forgot the translation. Sorry.

Je vous entends Analog Addict. C'est un argument que j'ai régulièrement avec moi-même. Pour être juste… supprimer le bras de lecture original supprimerait des fonctionnalités. J'ai également eu l'idée d'utiliser le support d'origine avec un bras de lecture fait maison de type Nanook 219 et d'ajuster les connexions à libération rapide pour permettre un échange facile.

C’est ce que je pensais socle. Pensées initiales… peut-être sur le dessus?
Pièces jointes :
Dernière édition: 02 Sep 2019 12:22 par jayellis.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 12:53 #9

• User578
  • Portrait de User578
  • Dinosaure du galet
Hello,

- Armboard onto the top is the way I would go.

- May I suggest you to use the original arm, not for mono or shellac, but for stereo ?
- I think the Collaro arm is pretty decent compared to its period.

So, at a first step, before to buy/add another arm, and for about half and half the cost of everything else ...

# find a audio cartridge vith heavy (but reasonable) VTF aka Shure M3D/M7D/M8D, M44-C/-7, SC35C (you see what I mean).

# Rewire the arm with stereo cable.

# Adjust counterweight.
The Collaro arm is not "VTF adjustable", but you coul add some weight on the rear, this way:

Dernière édition: 02 Sep 2019 13:02 par User578.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 14:13 #10

• jayellis
  • Portrait de jayellis
  • Membre actif
  • Remerciements reçus 1
Hi Cynos,

Is it that good? I didn't think it would be.

I saw that picture earlier but thought you might have got a later improved version. Did you drill and tap it yourself? I had looked into trying out another cartridge. You're right about the cost… way cheaper.

Rather than an arm board on top how about an arm pod? Heavy and separate?

Salut Cynos,

Est-ce que c'est bon? Je ne pensais pas que ce serait le cas.

J'ai vu cette image plus tôt, mais je pensais que vous auriez peut-être une version améliorée plus récente. Avez-vous percé et tapé vous-même? J'avais envisagé d'essayer une autre cartouche. Vous avez raison sur le coût… beaucoup moins cher.

Plutôt qu'un panneau de bras sur le dessus, qu'en est-il d'un pod de bras? Lourd et séparé?

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 14:35 #11

• User578
  • Portrait de User578
  • Dinosaure du galet
Arm POD
Yes, yes and yes ... U°)
Arm Pod made of concrete is very easy and cheap by DIY.
I have a project similar to this (with concrete turntable plinth too).

Adding weight to the counterweight (the picture) was not a "later improved version", it was just the work of a DIYer.
The picture is from another member's turntable.

There was NO improved tonearm version from Collaro, every 2010 and 4T200 was built with NO adjustable tonearm (same " banana" arm), if you wanted another arm to play with you just bought the 2000 or 4TR200 models.
Is that good ?
Why not ?
If you have a cartridge that need 3 g VTF, and if you could adjust the arm with 3g VTF, what's wrong ?

Effective tonearm mass ?
I don't think that cartridges which need 3g VTF (or more) are worried with heavy mass arms ( ;) ).

May be I'm wrong ... :?

EDIT: to add a second arm, you could go this way too:

It will be "universal" , suitable for most tonearms, you won't need a big plinth, and it's removable.
You could fix this type of "armboard" to the allready drilled hole of the turntable top plate too (if you remove the original arm, and if you use a longer arm, of course).

But, I prefer arm pod, for sure ... :cool:
Dernière édition: 02 Sep 2019 14:54 par User578.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 16:24 #12

• jayellis
  • Portrait de jayellis
  • Membre actif
  • Remerciements reçus 1
Yes, I've seen those adjustable tonearm mounts. I do like them but wonder if there is a resonance issue?

Armpods seem a simpler option and should be easy to DIY.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 17:16 #13

• User578
  • Portrait de User578
  • Dinosaure du galet
I don't know about resonance, I never tried these arm mounts.

And yes, I prefer the pod solution.
You could build the pod with anything (heavy) you want, but I do think, that concrete is the better option for DIYing.

It is cheap and esay to do, very heavy and stable.
The only downside is you have to wait nearly three weeks for complete finish.

If you go concrete, you need to think "bottom on top", in doing the mould.

May I suggest you to find a big round (or square if you prefer) plastic thing (bottle ?).

Cut it bigger than your need.
You will need a perfect bottom, or may be you will prefer some wood on the top of your pod (the bottom of the mould will be the top of the pod).
If the bottom of the bottle (for exemple) is not flat enough, you could use a sheet of plolystyrene (or similar).

You'll need some space for the arm base and the wires, to do it, you could use a tube (or similar).

Make your concrete, the color you want, and add it to the mould.
Check a little to remove the air.

You need then to wait more than 24h, but less than 48h.
Cut the mould. Open it.
Then you can gently sand the concrete with sand paper to earase the defects.

Wait 3 weeks, at least (I think one month is better).
Then you can drill holes for three foots (adjustable foots) and you can fix your arm, or a wood top plate that you will fix on the top of the pod.

May be some words I use are wrong !!!

Making mould with wood is also possible, but more complex.
The wood constructuction needs to be removable, and you'll want to oil the wood to help the dismanstling.

I have this project, but never find the time ...
hope you will do to see the result ... ;)
Dernière édition: 02 Sep 2019 17:18 par User578.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 17:32 #14

• jayellis
  • Portrait de jayellis
  • Membre actif
  • Remerciements reçus 1
I watched a few videos on YouTube as I was considering (like you) a concrete plinth. They used kitchen worktops with oil and it seemed to work very well. I saw a very good video for a white (I wouldn't use that colour) glass reinforced concrete table top with wood inlay.

Another option would be to use a metal (brass) tube cut to length and use the concrete as simply ballast? A bit more expensive but it would look great next to the Collaro and match the badge.

So many options °o)

J'ai regardé quelques vidéos sur YouTube alors que je considérais (comme vous) un socle en béton. Ils utilisaient des plans de travail de cuisine avec de l'huile et cela semblait très bien fonctionner. J'ai vu une très bonne vidéo pour un plateau de table en béton armé de verre blanc (je n'utiliserais pas cette couleur) avec incrustation de bois.

Une autre option consisterait à utiliser un tube de métal (laiton) coupé à la longueur voulue et à utiliser le béton simplement comme ballast. Un peu plus cher, mais il aurait fière allure à côté du Collaro et serait assorti au badge.

[4T200] Longueur effective du bras de lecture sur un 4T200 non modifié 02 Sep 2019 18:32 #15

• User578
  • Portrait de User578
  • Dinosaure du galet
Yes plenty of options.

Concrete turntable plinth: I will use sandwiches of polystyrene/PU sheets to do it, easy findable, cheap enough, easy to cut and very smooth surface (so very smooth concrete surface).
I allready made some concrete stuffs, stone like, but not HiFi (!), and I use a sort of varnich for a better finish (waterproof and solid surface).

JUS DO IT ... :)
Modérateurs: JGN
Temps de génération de la page : 0.137 secondes

Messages non lus

Plus de sujets »

Console de débogage Joomla!

Session

Profil d'information

Occupation de la mémoire

Requêtes de base de données